Thanks to Copper Dome Strategies for their assistance in bringing SCACPA Members these developments in South Carolina relating to the COVID-19. SCACPA would also like to thank all state agencies and partners for their hard work during this difficult time.
McMaster Orders S.C. Tax Deadlines Moved to June 1
Gov. Henry McMaster announced via Executive Order on Tuesday afternoon that SC tax filing deadlines are moved to June 1 .
The South Carolina Department of Revenue then released an Information Letter providing filing and payment relief to those impacted by COVID-19 in South Carolina.
The tax relief postpones tax filing and payment deadlines starting on April 1, 2020. Affected individuals and businesses will have until June 1, 2020 to file and pay taxes for returns that are due between April 1 and June 1, 2020.
Stay tuned to the SCACPA blog and our social media for updates and roundups of fast-moving tax deadline extension news.
Senate, House to Vote on COVID-19 DHEC Funding
Gov. Henry McMaster on Sunday issued an Executive Order closing all state public schools starting Monday, March 16. Schools will remain closed through the end of the March. This includes all public K-12 schools, universities, colleges and technical colleges. The order provides that districts must provide virtual instruction and remote learning during the closures.
Gov. McMaster on March 12 called on the General Assembly to appropriate $45 million from the Contingency Reserve Fund to the Department of Health and Environmental Control DHEC for the coordination of the state’s public health response to the COVID-19 virus. You can read the governor’s letter here.
The South Carolina Senate has decided to come into session briefly Tuesday, March 17 to pass legislation appropriating the funding to DHEC and will adjourn for the remainder of the week. All other subcommittee and committee meetings have been canceled for the week.
The House of Representatives, even though on a planned furlough this week, will return Thursday to address DHEC funding.
At this time, future plans for the legislative session have not been announced.
BILLS AND LEGISLATION WE HAVE BEEN WATCHING
- Conformity Bills Have Been Introduced in House and Senate
- Senate to Consider SC Business License Tax Standardization Act
- View From the Dome: Halfway Point in the Legislative Session
HEALTH AND WELLNESS REMINDERS
- Wash your hands. Cover your nose and mouth when you cough. Stay home if you’re sick.
- The Medical University of South Carolina MUSC is offering free Telehealth consultations and screenings to anyone in South Carolina experiencing COVID-19-like symptoms with the promo code COVID19, for both new and existing patients. The DHEC Care Line is available to provide general information about COVID-19 by calling 1.855.472.3432 from 8 a.m.-6 p.m., seven days per week.
- DHEC’s COVID-19 resources page can be found here. For further resources, consult the CDC’s webpage for advisories on COVID-19.