Week of September 9-13
- As SCACPA monitors the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, we will provide updates regarding our activities, including working with legislators and FEMA on getting extensions, and those will be found scacpa.org/disaster-readiness along with our social media channels. Please remain vigilant, prepare, and put safety first. Members who must evacuate are welcome to our space at 1300 12th Street in Cayce.
- SCACPA members should be aware that the Association has confirmed that the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation is conducting an email verification drive in advance of license renewal season for firms and individuals. If you or your firm did not receive such an email, it is important to contact the SC BOA to update your email address. They can be reached via email at Accountancy@llr.sc.gov or by phone at (803) 896-4770.
- October Month of Service will be here before you know it, and we’re gearing up to make sure we make an impact all across the state! Chapters brainstormed community service projects at the recent Chapter Retreat and are excited to share their plans and ideas. Let us know what you’d like to see SCACPA or your Chapter do for Month of Service by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SCACPA is the only organization in the state the protects and promotes the CPA profession. Now that tax season has officially begun, we’re going to be promoting our #WhyCPA campaign to spread awareness about the differences between an accountant and a CPA, and why choosing a CPA is a smart long-term financial decision. We know choosing a CPA is the right decision, don’t you?
- Attention, firms: Production of the 2020 Firm Guide for Students is underway! This important networking resource lets today’s best and brightest accounting students know all about you, so be on the lookout for letters that tell you how to submit your message.
- Your weekly Current Assets e-newsletter is delivered to your inbox every Thursday morning to bring you the latest news in Association activities and events. If it’s been a while since you’ve read it, make sure to check your spam folder.
- September’s CPE Postcard are being delivered, so watch your mailbox for info on great sessions heading to your community, as well as introductory information on October’s Month of Service.
- 83% of existing members have renewed their commitment to SCACPA. We’re thrilled to continue to serve you under the All-Inclusive Membership model in the coming year. See what all you helped us accomplish last year in our year in review.
- For those who have yet to renew, letters have been sent in the mail as notifications that the account will be under suspension as of Aug. 31 (meaning it is no longer possible to sign up for CPE through the SCACPA website).
- An unpaid renewal as of Sept. 30 will result in termination of membership.
- IMPORTANT DUES REMINDER: SCACPA members paid a dues renewal rate of $700 in 2018 because every local Chapter contributed a $99 discount as a one-time only introductory rate for the All-Inclusive Membership package. Having heard the feedback of members like you, the All-Inclusive dues have given our members more options, better options and better content. We look forward to giving you this level of service and more moving forward at the $799 annual membership price.
- SCACPA staff will be calling members who haven’t renewed just yet and you can avoid the $25 late fee by paying when we call. You cannot bypass the late fee when paying online. Chat with you soon!
- Check out the 2Q edition of the 2019 CPA Report here!
- The GAP Committee (Growing the Accounting Profession) will meet in the SCACPA office on Sept. 12. Now is a great time to get involved with the Association, and those willing to serve can not only learn ways to go beyond volunteering your time to help the profession but how to become an ambassador on behalf of your peers.
- SCACPA Social Media is important for you to get the most out of membership! Don’t forget to follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram) for quick, real-time updates. We share the latest breaking news on social media first, so go ahead and give us a Like and Follow!
- SCACPA Connectis our professional networking platform where members can engage and interact with each other. Your SCACPA Connect login credentials are the same as your org login information. You can use SCACPA Connect to ask questions where other members and experts can give answers or advice. With the complexity of the new tax law, we know it is important to create a space where our CPAs can get answers fast – SCACPA Connect allows you to do just that. We answer your questions about Connect here.
- Registration (and session selection!) is open for our annual fall conference, Fall Fest! With recording breaking attendance at Fall Fest in 2018, we are hopeful to set another record this year – and we hope you’re part of it. We hope to see you November 14 and 15 at the Columbia Metro Convention Center.
- The Silent Auction is a seasoned veteran event at Fall Fest, and we need items for bidding! In 2018, participants bid on anything from wine packages to vacations, and everything in between. Contact us at email@example.com for more information on donating items to the Silent Auction.
- If you’ve taken a class via SCACPA’s livestream, you know the convenience of being able to watch and listen to our expert instructors’ presentations at home, in the office, or anywhere you please. We want to make you aware that you are also free to audit a livestream class (or rebroadcast) whenever you like. Registration for livestream is only required to acquire CPE credit. To audit a class, there’s no sign-up or fee involved. Simply pull up the SCACPA livestream player at https://www.scacpa.org/classroom anytime a course is in session. It’s a great way to expand the scope of your knowledge. You can read here about the experience of SCACPA Member Sheri Saunders, CPA, of Spartanburg, as she keeps livestream courses playing throughout her workday at her family firm. While auditing a session on the SCACPA Classroom page, you can still access links for materials and join the discussion with our live chat.
- SCACPA CEO Chris Jenkins is the host of #TechTuesday, a weekly technology update posted to our YouTube channel. Check out our content here and remember to subscribe!
- SCACPA is excited to continue the partnership with Melisa Galasso, CPA, of Galasso Learning Solutions. With over 15 years of experience in the accounting profession, Melisa closely monitors regulatory bodies for changes in auditing and accounting guidance and serves as a subject matter expert in implementing the updated guidance. Find Melisa’s first SCACPA blog post here. You can also find all of her video blogs on our YouTube channel.
- Thank you to everyone who submitted an application for SCACPA Scholarships! Thanks to our wonderful Ed Fund donors, we were able to award $44,500to 31 deserving students attending 10 colleges across the state. Check out all the winners
- SAVE THE DATE: Scholarship winners are invited to attend the Scholarship Recognition luncheon at our annual fall conference, Fall Fest! The luncheon will be on Friday, November 15, at the Columbia Metro Convention Center. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you’re coming (and who’s coming with you!).
- SCACPA is excited to present our Student Interview Guide! While still full of tips and tricks on acing an interview, we wanted to hear from our firms exactly what they are looking for in candidates. Gain a competitive edge and use the Student Interview Guide to help propel you forward in your career.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!