THIS WEEK: October’s CPA Month of Service is here! Tell us your events so we can share them on social media. … Please review our CPE Cancelation Policy to help us make the most of our events and so you can avoid losing your CPE Bank hours. … The CPE Committee of 16 is finalizing course dates for the 2020-21 schedule as well as the schedules and speakers for Spring Splash 2020, May 14-15 in Spartanburg. … Learn more details about the Fall Fest Entertainment Night, our giveaways and prizes! … Those who have not renewed their SCACPA membership for the Association’s 2019-20 year are having their accounts marked from suspended to terminated.
- October Month of Service is here, and we’re ready to make an impact all across the state! Support your local Chapter’s service projects, or let us know what projects you’re conducting on your own so we can share it on social media by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As SCACPA monitors the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, we will provide updates regarding our activities, including working with legislators and FEMA on getting extensions, and those will be found scacpa.org/disaster-readiness along with our social media channels. While FEMA announced that federal disaster assistance was made available Monday to 11 South Carolina counties for governments and nonprofits, there has been no granting of individual assistance and tax deadlines are not expected to be extended. In the meantime, please remain vigilant, prepare, and put safety first. Members who must evacuate are welcome to our space at 1300 12th Street in Cayce.
- SCACPA is the only organization in the state the protects and promotes the CPA profession. We’re promoting our #WhyCPA campaign to spread awareness about the differences between an accountant and a CPA, and why choosing a CPA is a smart long-term financial decision. We know choosing a CPA is the right decision, don’t you?
- SCACPA CPE Cancelation Policies: Member service is the top priority of SCACPA’s CPE Team. We understand that life happens, and things can sometimes change after you enroll for a CPE course. We will work with you to process changes to your registration when at all possible. However, due to contractual obligations, we cannot process enrollment changes if the live event is scheduled to begin within 72 hours. A registrant who does not attend a live event is considered a no-show and forfeits his or her CPE Bank hours and course materials. To avoid being a no-show, please follow the transfer/cancellation guidelines before the program date. No-shows are not entitled to course materials, transfers, CPE Bank Refunds, money on account or refunds at any time. To request a transfer or cancellation, please contact us by phone at 803.791.4181 or email email@example.com.
- Registration (and session selection!) is open for our annual fall conference, FALL FEST! With record-breaking attendance at Fall Fest in 2018, we are hopeful to set another record this year – and we want you to be part of it. We hope to see you Nov. 14 and 15 at the Columbia Metro Convention Center.
- Get ready for a Wild West theme at the Fall Fest Entertainment Night! We will have casino-style games, a DJ, mechanical bull riding, laser skeet shooting (outside, if the weather cooperates), a photo booth. If your wardrobe includes old-timey western clothes, now might be a great time to break that out! Fall Fest giveaways include stress balls in the shape of a bull; a souvenir pen with a bull on top; and our event bags will be clear plastic bags, which you might want to hang on to for other public events that require clear bag policies.
- The Silent Auction is a seasoned veteran event at Fall Fest, and we need items for bidding! In 2018, participants bid on anything from wine packages to vacations, and everything in between. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on donating items to the Silent Auction.
- COO/CFO Jacque Curtin, new SCACPA CPE Manager Elaine Mikell and CPE Coordinator Alex Pierce toured the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center with our site planner in advance of November’s Fall Fest. SCACPA is in the process of learning how we’ll lay out the space for our sessions and activities. Look for the Fall Fest map as we get closer to the conference.
- If you’ve taken a class via SCACPA’s livestream, you know the convenience of being able to watch and listen to our expert instructors’ presentations at home, in the office, or anywhere you please. We want to make you aware that you are also free to audit a livestream class (or rebroadcast) whenever you like. Registration for livestream is only required to acquire CPE credit. To audit a class, there’s no sign-up or fee involved. Simply pull up the SCACPA livestream player at https://www.scacpa.org/classroom anytime a course is in session. It’s a great way to expand the scope of your knowledge. You can read here about the experience of SCACPA Member Sheri Saunders, CPA, of Spartanburg, as she keeps livestream courses playing throughout her workday at her family firm. While auditing a session on the SCACPA Classroom page, you can still access links for materials and join the discussion with our live chat.
- SCACPA is excited to continue the partnership with Melisa Galasso, CPA,of Galasso Learning Solutions. With over 15 years of experience in the accounting profession, Melisa closely monitors regulatory bodies for changes in auditing and accounting guidance and serves as a subject matter expert in implementing the updated guidance. You can also find all of her video blogs on our YouTube channel.
- SCACPA CEO Chris Jenkins is the host of #TechTuesday, a weekly technology update posted to our YouTube channel. Check out our content hereand remember to subscribe!
- SPRING SPLASH SAVE THE DATE: May 14-15 in Spartanburg. The CPE Committee of 16 is finalizing the sessions schedule and registration will open soon. See you there!
- Attention, firms: Production of the 2020 Firm Guide for Students is underway! This important networking resource lets today’s best and brightest accounting students know all about you, so be on the lookout for letters that tell you how to submit your message.
- October’s CPE Postcard is being finalized with the printer, so watch your mailbox for info on great sessions heading to your community, as well as introductory information on November’s Fall Fest.
- Your weekly Current Assets e-newsletter is delivered to your inbox every Thursday morning to bring you the latest news in Association activities and events. If it’s been a while since you’ve read it, make sure to check your spam folder.
- 83% of existing members have renewed their commitment to SCACPA. We’re thrilled to continue to serve you under the All-Inclusive Membership model in the coming year. See what all you helped us accomplish last year in our year in review. For those who have yet to renew, those accounts have been under suspension as of Aug. 31 (meaning it is no longer possible to sign up for CPE through the SCACPA website). An unpaid renewal as of Sept. 30 will result in termination of membership.
- IMPORTANT DUES REMINDER: SCACPA members paid a dues renewal rate of $700 in 2018 because every local Chapter contributed a $99 discount as a one-time only introductory rate for the All-Inclusive Membership package. Having heard the feedback of members like you, the All-Inclusive dues have given our members more options, better options and better content. We look forward to giving you this level of service and more moving forward at the $799 annual membership price.
- The 3Q issue of South Carolina CPA Report has been sent to the printers, look for it in your mailbox soon! You can still check out the 2Q edition of the South Carolina CPA Report here.
- The GAP Committee (Growing the Accounting Profession) met recently in the SCACPA office, and next steps include reviewing presentation materials for high schools and colleges. They will update materials to make sure CPAs have what they need to make those presentations to students, with an assist from an excellent similar program conducted by the Viriginia CPAs. It’s a new era for the GAP Committee with a new direction, so now is a great time to get involved with the Association. Those willing to serve can not only learn ways to go beyond volunteering your time to help the profession but how to become an ambassador on behalf of your peers.
- The Member Engagement Committee is happy with the results of its recent survey of volunteers, and it wants to follow up with a survey to people who have not volunteered.
- SCACPA Social Media is important for you to get the most out of membership! Don’t forget to follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram) for quick, real-time updates. We share the latest breaking news on social media first, so go ahead and give us a Like and Follow!
- SCACPA Connect is our professional networking platform where members can engage and interact with each other. Your SCACPA Connect login credentials are the same as your org login information. You can use SCACPA Connect to ask questions where other members and experts can give answers or advice. With the complexity of the new tax law, we know it is important to create a space where our CPAs can get answers fast – SCACPA Connect allows you to do just that. We answer your questions about Connect here.
- Thank you to everyone who submitted an application for SCACPA Scholarships! Thanks to our wonderful Ed Fund donors, we were able to award $44,500 to 31 deserving students attending 10 colleges across the state. Check out all the winners in the upcoming Q3 edition of South Carolina CPA Report magazine!
- SAVE THE DATE: Scholarship winners are invited to attend the Scholarship Recognition luncheon at our annual fall conference, Fall Fest! The luncheon will be on Friday, November 15, at the Columbia Metro Convention Center. Email email@example.com and let us know you’re coming (and who’s coming with you!).
- SCACPA is excited to present our Student Interview Guide! While still full of tips and tricks on acing an interview, we wanted to hear from our firms exactly what they are looking for in candidates. Gain a competitive edge and use the Student Interview Guide to help propel you forward in your career.