SCACPA Happenings: June 7-11, 2021
TRENDING THIS WEEK:
- At Tuesday’s International Association of Business Communicators/South Carolina awards show, which was held virtually, the SCACPA Communications team won “Awards of Excellence” for 2020 Virtual Spring Splash under “Marketing, Advertising and Brand Communication” and for our South Carolina CPA Report magazine in the category of Publications. Last month, we were named the winner in three categories of the “Best in Business Awards” by the SC Society of Association of Executives in the categories of Magazine/Journal, Newsletter and Special Program or Event (for the 2019 Fall Fest).
- SCACPA’s Annual Member Meeting will be held via livestream on June 17. Attendees will vote on the new slate of board members and officers, review the Association’s annual budget and hear reports on SCACPA activities. This will be held during the lunch break of that day’s Spring Splash Variety track. Get involved when you register now for this free event.
- CENTRAL CHAPTER SCACPA MEMBERS: Family Fun Day is on its way for Saturday, June 26 at Saluda Shoals Park. We invite you for a full afternoon with a splash pad, food trucks, live music, social hour and door prizes. Best of all, it’s free for you and your guests. Learn all the details and register today!
- DUES RENEWAL for 2021-22 is OPEN! Your membership is vital to SCACPA’s ability to protect your interests and vocalize your needs. Renew now at www.scacpa.org/dues — and if you’ve used all your 2020-21 CPE Bank, you can immediately use hours from next year’s bank for Spring Splash in May and June! Our new membership year begins July 1, don’t miss out on all the great benefits you deserve.
- June 1 marked the beginning of Hurricane Season, and SCACPA thanks the South Carolina Emergency Management Division for releasing its 2021 Hurricane Guide and for maintaining a resources page at hurricane.sc. Know that the SCACPA Communications team is updating our Disaster Readiness page, which you can rely on for real-time updates and communication in the case of emergency reaching your community or business.
- COVID Vaccination Reminder: All South Carolinians aged 12 and older are eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. Online appointments can now be made at scdhec.gov/vaxlocator. Stay safe!
SPRING SPLASH IS HALFWAY FINISHED!
- Design your own experience when you mix and match from some of the best education content around. We’ll help you grow when you participate in our multiple two-day tracks of learning. See what’s in store when you register now.
- June 16-17: Variety Track
- June 23-24: A&A Track plus Tax Track
- A huge part of the value of Spring Splash is that we find the subject matter experts who are nationally recognized leaders in their fields, and they’re all in one place for your convenience. Get to know some of our elite speakers for Spring Splash and the topics they’ll be covering.
- Build your best Spring Splash experience when you maximize your CPA Bank hours. Maybe you have CPE Bank hours to burn before the June 30 end of the 2020-21 membership year. Or perhaps you’ve already used most or all of your of your Bank hours and require extra Bank hours to take additional courses. Either way, here are tips on how to maximize your CPE Bank for May and June.
- Join SCACPA’s Task Force as We Reply to AICPA’s Proposed New Standards: The AICPA is proposing the most significant changes regarding quality management since 2006, and SCACPA wants your voice to be represented as we draft our response. On the horizon are three new interrelated quality management standards that will impact CPA firms at the firm and engagement levels. Because these proposals replace a “one-size-fits-all” model with a scalable approach to firms of all sizes, SCACPA understands that these changes will have significant effects for many smaller South Carolina CPA firms. To influence these standards on behalf of all South Carolina CPAs, we are assembling a Task Force of Association members with the aim of providing SCACPA’s written response –find out how we would like your help.
- The Governmental Affairs Committee held virtual meetings with the DEW, BOA and DOR on May 20, and here are some highlights:
- DEW: The GA Committee met with Jamie Suber, DEW Assistant Executive Director, for an update. The meeting was very positive and informative. SC is one of 25 states to withdraw from the Federal funding of Unemployment benefits. The additional $300 in Federal benefits will cease week ending June 26th. The GA Committee congratulated Jamie and the DEW for the work in diligently attacking fraud.
- BOA: The group met with BOA staff, and discussion touched on communicating changes, concerns or questions as Senate bill 812 moves forward through the Legislature.
- DOR: Ideas were exchanged on ways to increase the amount of e-filing for BPP forms, which is an area of interest for both SCACPA and the DOR.
- You can read the first quarter edition of the SC Board of Accountancy’s newsletter, SC BOArd News, which has valuable information for all licensees. We thank the BOA for listing SCACPA as among the partners who worked on the multi-year process that culminated with new regulations that became effective on June 26, 2020.
- If you are looking for ways to volunteer with SCACPA to grow and promote the profession, why don’t you tell us about your ideas and interests with the SCACPA Volunteer Form at our Volunteers website page.
- Stay tuned to Connect and SCACPA social media for real-time Advocacy updates.
- If you have ideas about how we can make CPE more valuable with specific speakers or topics, please let us know with this form. Stay tuned to SCACPA social media, our blog and scacpa.org/events as we deliver “just-in-time” learning on breaking news topics.
- The Federal Tax Update with Lynn Nichols is the member benefit you need during tax season! Catch up every week on SCACPA’s Tax Blog with a video from SCACPA’s advisor and speaker on Federal Tax topics.
- Go to www.scacpa.org/social to learn how SCACPA social media is important for you to get the most out of membership! Follow us on your favorite social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube) for real-time updates. We steadily share breaking news on social media, please give us a Like and Follow!
- Interested in contributing professional news or a story in your area of expertise for our next issue of the quarterly South Carolina CPA Report magazine? Contact SCACPA Content Strategist Gregory Hardy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We hope you enjoyed the Q1 issue of South Carolina CPA Report, which was devoted to our Advocacy work. Click here for a PDF preview.
- Are you familiar with your member benefit of SCACPA’s private online discussion portal, Connect? It’s easy to get started when you visit our new platform page for Connect. It tells you how to follow the steps to start growing your professional network today.
- Did you know that with SCACPA Connect you can review and respond to items in a daily digest email? Pick the time of day you would like to receive a notification that summarizes posts that occurred in the community. You can modify your notification settings to immediate, daily, weekly. However, we ask that you allow the “daily digest” emails at first to familiarize yourself, as well as facilitate and generate some timely discussion.
- SCACPA is proud to promote the “Accountable” podcast for CFOs, from David Peters, CPA, MST, who is the Association’s advisor and speaker on B&I topics. A recent guest was SCACPA Content Strategist Gregory Hardy, and he talks about plans for in-person and virtual events in the coming months. You can download it as an audio podcast or watch the interviews on YouTube. Look for the latest installments on SCACPA’s B&I Blog Page.
- SCACPA and Surgent CPA Review combined our resources to offer a FREE simulated CPA Exam section on Thursday, June 3. This Mock CPA Exam was open to SCACPA Student Members and CPA Candidates, best of luck to everyone who registered. For more news on Student events, keep an eye on SCACPA’s Student Membership page.
- For businesses looking to grow, we’re spreading the word that CPAs are an ideal target market. The Partnership Playbook explains all the reasons why partnering with SCACPA is a win-win.
- Are you looking to be a strategic finance partner in your business? Do you want to upskill and future-proof your career? Explore how the AICPA’s CGMA Finance Leadership Program can help you grow. Learn the skills that 2,000+ CFOs and Finance Leaders have identified as being critical for your career. Build new competencies and elevate your career with the CGMA Finance Leadership Program. As a CPA with extensive training, you have a preferred pathway to earn the designation. CPAs start at the Strategic Level of the CGMA program. It’s no wonder why 91 of the Fortune 100 and 95 of the world’s top 100 brands choose CGMA designation holders. Learn more.
- Message from Paychex: Clients Have All of 2021 to Claim Employee Retention Tax Credit. More than 60% of businesses in a recent survey said they did not know about the Employee Retention Tax Credit. Did you know that Paychex clients who claimed the ERTC, on average, saved $89,000? With the deadline to claim the credit extended until Dec. 31, 2021, you have more time to educate and advise your clients on the benefits that can come with getting employees back on the payroll. Read more about the ERTC.
- SCACPA offers many other incredible benefits, including group health insurance, auto and home insurance, long-term care and pet health insurance. For details, visit scacpa.org/insurance.
- Maximize your savings on UPS shipping with SCACPA! Member discounts have increased to 50% on Domestic Next Day/Deferred and 30% on Ground Commercial/Residential. Find out how to open an account here.
- Build a Better Work Environment with Office Depot: Whether you work in a corporate building or have a home office in your guest room or dining room, you can create a workspace that suits your needs. You might spend 40-plus hours on the job every week –why not feel good while you’re there? Your SCACPA Office Depot Savings Program can help make it easy to shop and upgrade your office furniture, facilities, technology and printing needs or any of your other work from anywhere necessities, while saving time and money. With free next-business-day shipping*, we make sure you have what you need, when you need it. Start shopping online and save with Office Depot: officediscounts.org/scapca. Or text receive exclusive limited time offers by texting SCACPASAVES to 833.344.0228. (*Free next-business-day delivery on qualifying orders of $50 or more within local delivery areas, see terms and conditions.)
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!