TRENDING THIS WEEK:
- SCACPA’s 2021 Legislator’s Tax Guide is complete and in the process of being safely distributed at the State House. This goal of this annual publication from our Governmental Affairs Team is to assist our representatives with their specific income tax implications of being a state legislator. Special thanks to GA Team volunteers Ann Fleming, CPA, and W. Edward Howard Jr., CPA, for their expertise in writing and editing the guide. We have also compiled links to additional resources about tax, businesses and the state of South Carolina.
- As the Feb. 12 start of tax season approaches, are you familiar with SCACPA’s private online discussion portal, SCACPA Connect? It’s easy to get started when you visit our new platform page for SCACPA Connect. It tells you how to follow the steps to start growing your professional network today.
- SCACPA Membership pays like never before! When you share the excitement by referring a friend or peer to join SCACPA as a Fellow member, we will send you a check for $100. Our Refer-A-Friend offer is simple: All the candidate must do is enter your email in the “Referred By” field on our new member application when registering for Fellow status. Once we have processed their membership payment, we will send you a check for $100. Make sure your Refer-A-Friend knows they get immediate access to a 40-hour CPE bank that can be put to use starting with our Surgent On-Demand self-study options. Find out more Refer-A-Friend details here.
- The South Carolina Board of Accountancy held a Special Called Meeting via teleconference on Friday, Feb. 5, to conclude business left over from its meeting on Jan. 19. SCACPA Board Member and vice chair of the Governmental Affairs Team David Knoble, CPA, made a presentation about progress being made in proposed updates to statutes and regulations affecting the profession. Watch the SCACPA Blog and social media about upcoming details about this process.
- IMPORTANT SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE APPROACHING! The deadline to apply for the AICPA/SCACPA Scholarship Award for Minority Accounting Students is 3 p.m. on Monday, March 1. Awards can range from $3,000-$5,000. For eligibility details and to apply, go to https://www.thiswaytocpa.com/education/scholarship-search/scholarship-minority-accounting-students.
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: SCACPA is in need of a member to volunteer as an Educational Fund Board Member to fill a vacancy as of July 1. Interested members should fill out the Volunteer Interest form at www.scacpa.org/volunteer. This is a five-year term from July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2026. Meetings are held once per quarter via video conference, and scholarship winners are selected at the July meeting. Last year, the EdFund Trustees awarded $64,500 to 43 exceptional Student Members who plan to pursue careers in accounting.
- While we can’t wait for in-person social events to kick in again, SCACPA’s Catawba Chapter has scheduled two Livestream Lunch and Learn opportunities that are open to all members: Wednesday, March 17: Excel – Working With Data. SCACPA CEO Chris Jenkins gives you the keys to a wide range of solutions for your common data input requirements. (LICATE02).Wednesday, June 9: Excel – Working With Data Continued. Chris Jenkins will help participants understand filtering, summarizing, and combining data. (LICATE03).
- The CPE Planning Committee has nearly finalized SCACPA’s 2021-22 CPE calendar and itinerary for Virtual Spring Splash 2021, with simultaneous Tax and A&A tracks on May 13-14. Be on the lookout for the dates when we will broadcast via livestream the tracks of B&I, Government, Nonprofit and Variety that would have been offered in a traditional in-person Spring Splash.
- If you have ideas about how we can make CPE more valuable with specific speakers or topics, please let us know with this form. Stay tuned to SCACPA social media, our blog and scacpa.org/events as we deliver “just-in-time” learning on breaking news topics.
- SCACPA is proud to promote the “Accountable” podcast for CFOs, from David Peters, CPA, MST, who is the Association’s advisor and speaker on B&I topics. You can now download it as an audio podcast or watch the interviews on YouTube.
- Interested in contributing news or a story in your area of expertise for our next issue of the quarterly South Carolina CPA Report magazine? Contact SCACPA Content Strategist Gregory Hardy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Catch up with the latest news from the Association and the profession, and you can get see the PDF of our latest issue here.
- SCACPA Social Media is important for you to get the most out of membership! Don’t forget to follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube) for real-time updates. We steadily share breaking news on social media, so please give us a Like and Follow!
- Did you know that with SCACPA Connect you can review and respond to items in a daily digest email? Pick the time of day you would like to receive a notification that summarizes posts that occurred in the community. You can modify your notification settings to immediate, daily, weekly. However, we ask that you allow the “daily digest” emails at first to familiarize yourself, as well as facilitate and generate some timely discussion.
- Congratulations to the more than 50 CPA Candidates and Student Members who took part in our recent Virtual Mock CPA Exam. SCACPA and Surgent CPA Review combined resources to offer simulated CPA Exam sections. Participants experienced a simulated exam section, plus were able to view the exam results in real time. Candidates received a ReadySCORE along with a diagnostic report showing areas of strength and weakness as aligned with the CPA Exam Blueprints.
- SCACPA wants to make sure as many accounting students as possible can find financial help along the way through college. That’s why the application period has opened for a wide variety of SCACPA scholarships. These awards are intended for juniors, seniors and graduate students. Scholarship amounts usually range from $500 to $2,500. Don’t delay, start on the path today!
- For businesses looking to grow, we’re letting them know that CPAs are an ideal target market. The new Partnership Playbook explains all the reasons why partnering with SCACPA is a win-win.
- With SCACPA’s Office Depot/OfficeMax member benefit, you can now text and receive your In-Store Purchasing Card directly to your phone so you can take your savings with you. Text SCACPASAVES to 555-888 now to download your free mobile In-Store Purchasing Card! Your SCACPA member discounts saves you up to 75% off on our Best Value List of preferred products. Visit officediscounts.org/scacpa for details and start saving today!
- Maximize your savings on UPS shipping with SCACPA! Member discounts have increased to 50% on Domestic Next Day/Deferred and 30% on Ground Commercial/Residential. Find out out to open an account here.
SCACPA has introduced many new benefits including group health insurance, auto and home insurance, long-term care and pet health insurance. For details, visit www.scacpa.org/insurance.