TRENDING THIS WEEK:
- It’s National Volunteer Week! SCACPA loves our volunteers, and we appreciate ALL our members who have given their time to shape our association and the CPA profession in South Carolina. THANK YOU to all SCACPA volunteers past and present, and happy #NationalVolunteerWeek!
- We had fun in the Upstate! Thank you to all members and their families and guests who joined us Saturday on the Rooftop at the Fluor Field ballpark in Greenville for Family Day at Fluor Field, presented by the Piedmont and Foothills chapters. It was exciting that up to 30 of us were able to mix and mingle safely outdoors. Watch for more SCACPA in-person events to be announced soon.
- SCACPA is accepting nominations for multiple seats on the SCACPA Board and for Chapter Leadership for our 2021-22 membership year. We look forward to receiving your nominations of others – or yourself. Nomination submissions are due May 1. Make a commitment to making a difference!
- Upcoming ‘Livestream Lunch and Learns’ Include May 7 with the Central Chapter. While we can’t wait for in-person social events to fully kick in again, SCACPA Chapters are scheduling livestream Lunch and Learn opportunities that that are open to all members. Coming Friday, May 7, is “Excel Data Visualization Pivot Tables and More, Sponsored by the Central Chapter” (LICETE01), noon-12:50 p.m. Register today and click here to find more dates!
- COVID Vaccination Reminder: All South Carolinians aged 16 and older are eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. Online appointments can now be made at scdhec.gov/vaxlocator. Stay safe!
COUNTDOWN TO SPRING SPLASH: FIVE MORE WEEKS!
- Get ready for a brand-new format for Spring Splash this May and June. Registration is open for you to design your own experience when you mix and match from some of the best education content around. We’ll help you grow when you participate in our multiple two-day tracks of learning. See what’s in store when you register now for unforgettable experiences. Check out a list of more than 60 livestream sessions:
- May 25: Nonprofit Track
- May 26: Governmental Track
- June 3-4: Business and Industry Track
- June 16-17: Variety Track
- June 23-24: A&A Track plus Tax Track
- Build your best Spring Splash experience when you know how to maximize your CPA Bank hours. Maybe you have CPE Bank hours to burn before the June 30 end of the 2020-21 membership year. Or perhaps you’ve already used most or all of your of your Bank hours and require extra Bank hours to take additional courses. Either way, here are tips on how to maximize your CPE Bank for May and June.
- Spring Splash means it’s also the time of year for SCACPA’s Annual Member Meeting. Attendees will vote on the new slate of board members and officers, review the Association’s annual budget and hear reports on SCACPA activities. This will be held via livestream during the lunch break of June 17’s Variety track. Get involved when you register now for this free event.
- The Board of Accountancy’s next video conference meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 27. Interested in requesting a seat as part of the general public? Begin the process to receive the telephone or internet logon information of all upcoming meetings by emailing email@example.com. For more details on attending BOA video conferences and tips for making the most of the Webex platform that carries the meetings, continue reading here.
- The first quarter edition of the SC Board of Accountancy’s newsletter, SC BOArd News, is available with valuable information for all licensees. We thank the BOA for listing SCACPA as among the partners who worked on the multi-year process that culminated with new regulations that became effective on June 26, 2020. Congratulations to all 177 new licensees of October 2019-September 2020 listed who would have received their certificates at the Spring 2020 and Fall 2020 New CPA Oath Ceremonies.
- Your legislators are in session now, but staying in touch with them is something to consider year-round. Here are tips on how to start a conversation. If you’re unsure of who represents you, check out the Find Your Legislators search engine.
- Task Force Continues its Work to Strengthen Statutes: For three hours during the BOA’s Special Called Meeting via video conference on Feb. 5, SCACPA Board Member and vice chair of the Governmental Affairs Team David Knoble, CPA, presented a draft of proposed changes to statutes based on the work of a volunteer task force. The presentation received great questions and feedback from Board members. With so many important changes to our current statutes on the horizon, here is a synopsis of a few of the most impactful changes that are proposed.
- The Federal Tax Update with Lynn Nichols is the member benefit you need during tax season! Catch up every week on SCACPA’s Tax Blog with a video from SCACPA’s advisor and speaker on federal tax topics, Lynn Nichols.
- If you have ideas about how we can make CPE more valuable with specific speakers or topics, please let us know with this form. Stay tuned to SCACPA social media, our blog and scacpa.org/events as we deliver “just-in-time” learning on breaking news topics.
- Looking for the latest guidance on PPP Loan Forgiveness? Paychex – a gold affinity partner of payroll, retirement and HR services for the South Carolina Society of CPAs – presents these updates about their PPP Loan Forgiveness Estimator. Paychex will also offer a free webinar on March 22.
- Interested in contributing news or a story in your area of expertise for our next issue of the quarterly South Carolina CPA Report magazine? Contact SCACPA Content Strategist Gregory Hardy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Q1 issue of South Carolina CPA Report has been mailed, and we hope you are enjoying this issue devoted to our Advocacy work. Click here for a PDF sneak peek.
- As tax season continues, are you familiar with your member benefit of SCACPA’s private online discussion portal, Connect? It’s easy to get started when you visit our new platform page for Connect. It tells you how to follow the steps to start growing your professional network today.
- SCACPA Social Media is important for you to get the most out of membership! Don’t forget to follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube) for real-time updates. We steadily share breaking news on social media, so please give us a Like and Follow!
- Congratulations to Stokes & Company, CPAs, for being named as the third annual honoree of SCACPA’s Community Connected Engagement Award in recognition of their work during SCACPA’s 2020 October Month of Service. Learn more about all the great ways their offices helped their neighbors in the Upstate here.
- SCACPA is proud to promote the “Accountable” podcast for CFOs, from David Peters, CPA, MST, who is the Association’s advisor and speaker on B&I topics. You can now download it as an audio podcast or watch the interviews on YouTube. Look for the latest installments on SCACPA’s B&I Blog Page.
- Did you know that with SCACPA Connect you can review and respond to items in a daily digest email? Pick the time of day you would like to receive a notification that summarizes posts that occurred in the community. You can modify your notification settings to immediate, daily, weekly. However, we ask that you allow the “daily digest” emails at first to familiarize yourself, as well as facilitate and generate some timely discussion.
- SCACPA wants to make sure as many accounting students as possible can find financial help along the way through college. That’s why the application period has opened for a wide variety of SCACPA scholarships. These awards are intended for juniors, seniors and graduate students. Scholarship amounts usually range from $500 to $2,500. Don’t delay, start on the path today!
- ATTENTION CPA CANDIDATES AND STUDENTS: SCACPA and Surgent CPA Review have combined resources to offer a FREE simulated CPA Exam section of your choice on Thursday, June 3 from 1-5 p.m. This Mock CPA Exam is open to SCACPA Student Members and CPA Candidates, and the deadline to register is Friday, May 28. For more details and to find the form to register, please check out SCACPA’s Student Membership page.
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: SCACPA is in need of a member to volunteer as an Educational Fund Board Member to fill a vacancy as of July 1. Interested members should fill out the Volunteer Interest form at www.scacpa.org/volunteer. Submissions for Board approval are due May 1. This is a five-year term from July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2026. Meetings are held once per quarter via video conference, and scholarship winners are selected at the July meeting. Last year, the EdFund Trustees awarded $64,500 to 43 exceptional Student Members who plan to pursue careers in accounting.
- For businesses looking to grow, we’re letting them know that CPAs are an ideal target market. The new Partnership Playbook explains all the reasons why partnering with SCACPA is a win-win.
- Maximize your savings on UPS shipping with SCACPA! Member discounts have increased to 50% on Domestic Next Day/Deferred and 30% on Ground Commercial/Residential. Find out how to open an account here.
- Stay stocked and organized all year long with your Office Depot Savings Program. Keep business going in a clean, comfortable and organized space stocked with everything you need to do your best work. Visit officediscounts.org/scacpa to shop online. Have questions about your Office Depot Savings Program? Call 1-800-MEMBERS (636-2377), Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. -5 p.m. or email email@example.com.
- SCACPA has introduced many new benefits including group health insurance, auto and home insurance, long-term care and pet health insurance. For details, visit scacpa.org/insurance.
Are you looking to be a strategic finance partner in your business? Do you want to upskill and future-proof your career? Explore how the AICPA’s CGMA Finance Leadership Program can help you grow.
Learn the skills that 2,000+ CFOs and Finance Leaders have identified as being critical for your career. Build new competencies and elevate your career with the CGMA Finance Leadership Program. As a CPA with extensive training, you have a preferred pathway to earn the designation. CPAs start at the Strategic Level of the CGMA program. It’s no wonder why 91 of the Fortune 100 and 95 of the world’s top 100 brands choose CGMA designation holders. Learn more.