In recognition of National Small Business Week (April 29-May 5), the IRS is highlighting its resources that help small business owners and the self-employed understand and meet their tax obligations, including:
- A series of news releases on topics including the sharing economy, home office deduction, cybersecurity and the Work Opportunity Tax Credit.
- Tax tips about business provisions under the new tax reform law. Topics include changes to depreciation rules and the employer credit for family and medical leave and how it benefits employers. Tax tips are written in plain language and can be subscribed to using the IRS’s Tax Tips email-subscription program.
The IRS encourages business owners to check out webinars on the IRS video portal. The portal has presentations on a variety of small business topics. Business owners may also be interested in these sites:
- Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center — an online resource featuring links to useful tools, including Small Business Taxes: The Virtual Workshop, a downloadable tax calendar and common forms with instructions. The Center will help you secure an Employer Identification Number online and offers tips about IRS audits.
- Self-Employed Individual Tax Center — a resource for sole proprietors.
- IRS YouTube Channel — watch videos on the Small Business playlist.
- Online Learning and Educational Products — a page with tools to help taxpayers learn about taxes at their own pace. For example, the IRS Tax Calendar for Businesses and Self-Employed has important tax deadlines.
- E-News for Small Businesses — a free email service that offers tax information for small business owners and self-employed individuals, including reminders, tips and announcements.
The tax law changes enacted in December make it especially important for these groups to know about new provisions.
Information for small businesses is also available through IRS social media channels. Stay informed following the hashtag #IRSsmallbiz and help spread these messages by sharing the @IRSnews, @IRSTaxPros and @IRSenEspanol tweets.