Note: The next BOA virtual meeting will be Thursday, June 10, at 10 a.m.
As our communities continue to turn to video conferencing as a vital part of our work and personal lives, it sometimes takes a while to learn how to navigate the different portals.
SCACPA has certainly ramped up our remote meeting capabilities, and we are now including Cisco’s Webex as part of our learning curve. This is in large part because Webex is the platform used by the South Carolina Board of Accountancy for its public meetings.
In this blog post, we will first talk about the steps required to register to attend BOA meetings, and then we will move on to SCACPA helpful tips for making the most of Webex.
How to Register to Attend a BOA Meeting
In accordance with Gov. Henry McMaster’s directives regarding social distancing, BOA meetings are held via video and teleconference. Members of the public who wish to virtually attend must take these steps to register.
- To be alerted to upcoming Board of Accountancy meetings: You first should contact Board of Accountancy Program Coordinator Chelsea Buchanan (Chelsea.Buchanan@llr.sc.gov or 803.896.4770) and ask to be added to their email list. You will then afterward receive email announcements every time that a BOA meeting draws near. A copy of the meeting’s agenda will be attached to that email.
- When you receive an email announcement of an upcoming BOA meeting: If you wish to request the telephone or internet logon information for a seat at a BOA meeting, start by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You will soon after receive an email that will link you to an online form to complete with information about yourself. After you complete this form, you will receive an email from the LLR that contains the telephone/internet logon information that you will use at the meeting time.
Schedule of 2021 BOA Meetings
Friday, Feb. 5, at 9 a.m. (Special Called Meeting). You can see the meeting’s agenda here.
Tuesday, April 27, at 9 a.m. You can see the meeting’s agenda here.
Thursday, June 10, at 10 a.m.
Thursday, Aug. 19, at 10 a.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 26, at 10 a.m.
The BOA’s archive of meeting agendas can be found here.
Tips for using the Webex Video Conferencing
Need to download Webex for your device? Go to https://www.webex.com/downloads.html.
- Do not use an iOS (Apple device). While the WebEx application is available, there are known issues with advanced features that cause the platform to become unstable. Apple devices work best on short calls without breakout rooms.
- If you are in a low-bandwidth condition, use the telephone audio option. This will separate audio from the internet connection making the connection more stable.
- Only use video when needed. Less video means more bandwidth for higher priority functions.
- If possible, use a headset for video conferencing calls. A USB headset is likely your best option. The Logitech headset that I use (H390 with Noise Cancelling Mic) is one that has worked well for me.
- Using the “spacebar to speak” option gives you the best solution for transitioning in and out of the conversation. You can also use the volume control on your microphone to transition in and out of conversations.
- The Settings panel can be accessed at any time and gives you full control of all audio functions. Here is what that looks like:
You can also review SCACPA’s quick 6-minute video about WebEx settings and options:
Webex from Chris Jenkins on Vimeo.