The SC Board of Accountancy is reminding CPAs, PAs, Accounting Practitioners and firms that License Renewals, Firm Renewals and CPE hours are due to the Board of Accountancy no later than 11:59 p.m. on Jan 31, 2017.
- CPA, PA and Accounting Practitioner $80
- In-State Firm $50
- Out-of-State Firm $50
A license not renewed by 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 31 will be considered lapsed.
Continued practice after Feb. 15 will result in a sanction for unlicensed practice.
Licensees will be required to file a Reinstatement Application and pay a $500 reinstatement fee if renewal is filed or completed after Feb. 15.
2016 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) (Regulation 1-08):
This is the first year of the three-year ethics CPE cycle. All licensees must have six (6) hours of qualified ethics CPE that includes two (2) hours in a SC Board of Accountancy-approved South Carolina ethics course. These six hours must have been earned from Jan. 1, 2016, through Dec. 31, 2018. The two-hour ethics course can be taken only once in each three-year cycle. You can only count one two-hour SC ethics course per three-year period.
All 2016 CPE must be completed by Dec. 31, 2016. This means any Certificates of Attendance/Completion must show a 2016 date. All self-study courses must be Quality Assurance Services (QAS) approved, and self-study CPE cannot exceed 20 hours. You must submit Certificates of Completion for all self-study courses taken when you submit your CPE Reporting Form.
You must complete a minimum of 40 hours of CPE within each calendar year (Jan. 1 through Dec. 31) that is to be reported by Jan. 31 of the following year. The maximum number of hours you may carryover from one year to the next is 20.
Not all learning activities qualify for CPE. The event must be structured as CPE, have a sponsor, and the sponsor must issue a Certificate of Completion/Attendance to receive credit (Regulation 1-08).
Online CPE webinars are considered live presentations provided the course:
- Requires attendee to key in periodic codes throughout the course.
- Allows attendee the ability to contact the moderator to ask questions.
Submission of CPE data using a substitute for page 2 of the Board’s reporting form is permitted provided that:
- Complete page 1 of the CPE reporting form.
- The substitute form provides all of the same data as page 2 of the Board’s reporting form.
- Ensure the data required is easily recognizable. If not, complete page 2.
The Board requires CPE to be submitted by email. You must:
- Only use firstname.lastname@example.org to email your CPE report.
- Complete both pages of the report and sign it.
- If you have any self-study certificates, attach them as PDF files to the email.
- Convert report into a PDF document only.
- Name the PDF document in the following format: “Last name, First name – CPA License #”. For example: Smith, John – CPA1234.
If you were issued an original license after exam in 2016, you are not required to complete and report CPE for 2016. If you did CPE in 2016 it cannot be carried forward to 2017